Having some extra seating space is always a great asset for homeowners. This is an area where you can have your informal dining. When your extended family or friends join you for dinner, preparing and serving your meals doesn’t become as hectic as it is normally where there are smaller kitchens.
Sometimes one needs more floor space while others you need some extra counters. A large kitchen allows you to do whatever you feel is necessary. This becomes evident when you are making a huge meal for a lot of people who want to help.
Additional Kitchen Amenities
When you have a large kitchen, it becomes very easy to have all the amenities that you may have always wanted in the same place. This is how you make the kitchen a functional area that is useful for you and your household. This is how a kitchen becomes the main cooking and entertainment hub.
1. Opt for more wall storage- The shelves in your kitchen can be enlarged to accommodate more objects and containers. Try and fit all those things on the shelves which otherwise lie scattered on the countertops. This manner you can also reduce the clutter in your kitchen.
2. Integration of appliances- When you get a modular kitchen made you can always make sure that appliances like microwave and dishwashers are integrated in the panelling itself. Doing that saves you space on the kitchen slab and reduces the amount of stuff that is outside.
3. Hanger for pots and pans- Cookware is one of the few things that occupy a lot of space. To free some space you can install a hanger where such pots and pans can be accommodated. That ways a lot of your cabinet space can also be used for other purposes.
4. Open Wall shelves- The shelves that are made will be more convenient if you leave them open. Skip a full installation of wall cabinets and use the open shelves to keep your crockery and items that are worth displaying.
5. Pull out counters- If you think there is still shortage of space invest your money in pull out counters. This could be used for meal preparation and once over you could close it and keep it hidden. Such a counter does not interfere with your kitchen décor style also.
6. Consistent finishes- When you keep a consistent look for your kitchen it looks neat and even the limited space available looks more. Such fine finishes also provide an elegance to your kitchen which is otherwise difficult to get.
7. Corner space usage- There is a lot of space in the corners which are otherwise not used. Those who understand the importance of this space create modular kitchen attachments which uses the corner much more efficiently.
8. Scalability issues- If you have a small kitchen then do not go for large-scale features and bold pattern usage. Minimize use of multiple textures and spaces and selected only muted tones for the kitchen. This makes your small kitchen look spacious despite its constraints.
9. Use multi-functional appliances- When you have space issues you should definitely look at buying appliances which are capable of handling multiple tasks. That ways you won’t have to share space for two-three devices and your work will be made convenient.
10. Skinny cupboards and shelves- Store more things at one place by installing slim cupboards and shelves. Such narrow shelves and cupboards can be installed in corners and places which are otherwise not so useful.
Many kitchens, and especially older ones, only have one type of lighting or even worse, perhaps only one light! You may be thinking that a big light centered in the middle of the ceiling will serve your need effectively, but it is rarely enough. If you do go with one overhead light, make sure that you plan to incorporate enough reflection to let the light bounce into every part of the room so that it is lit properly..
One thing to consider if you only have room or resources for lighting on the ceiling is track lighting. This type of lighting will allow you to direct the light to specific areas of the kitchen. You can install a light or point a light to each work area as well as your stove and kitchen table. Or, try using track kitchen lighting for the work area and then install additional lighting over the table or island areas.
Typically, one big light in the middle of the room will be inadequate for proper task lighting. It is problematic since when you are standing at the counter with your back to the light you will be casting a shadow right on the area you want to illuminate. Task lighting is important for proper food prep and will make your kitchen chores much easier.
For great task lighting consider kitchen lights that are installed on the bottoms of the cabinets that overhang your kitchen countertops. You’ll be able to easily see while you are chopping vegetables and preparing meals. This lighting is soft enough to provide the right amount of light and can be easily turned off as needed or leave just one light on at night as a “night light” of sorts.
You’ll also want to consider how you light the island and table areas. Here is where you will want to insure that lighting is adequate, and looks great with the style of your kitchen.
The ergonomic kitchen is a kitchen design that should be planned to suit you. What is important to the practical use of your new kitchen are specific heights, depths, widths & clearances that need to be observed. The right kitchen design should be one that creates a working environment that takes into account the exact movements of the person using the kitchen. This can include giving careful consideration to working heights for preparation, cooking and cleaning.
So what just what is an ergonomic kitchen design? Kitchens have made a comeback from being a small cluttered room at the back of the house to playing a very important part in the most social or activities of the house.
The well thought out and designed kitchen should be one that is designed around the needs of those who live in the home and the way they use the kitchen. The design should fit to your exact movements. This includes customized working heights for preparation, cooking and clean-up. The ergonomic kitchen should also take into careful though just what your present and future physical abilities so that your kitchen will always be able to live up to the demands of your lifestyle. The kitchen plan should also make sure that cooking supplies and appliances are within easy reach, as well as provide adequate room to be able to walk between kitchen cabinets. The ergonomic kitchen design should insure that the kitchen is easier to work in and create less stress on the body.
Also any necessary safety concerns in the kitchen should also be addressed especially when it involves children and pets. The design should result in a kitchen that is not so much within their reach. Cabinets with magnetic locks and a breakfast bar in the kitchen where children can be with their moms while she is cooking are ideas to consider.
An ergonomic kitchen design should result in creating a kitchen that is both comfortable and convenient for you to use.
The kitchen design should provide good economy of movement, convenience of location and be able to go from storage to dining in a smooth fashion. It is important that it do this well because being able to entertainment guests near and even in the kitchen has become part of the more demanding lifestyles we have today.